Suicide occurs across all age, economic, social and ethnic boundaries.
- In 2013, 45 Nunavummiut died by suicide.
- Suicide is preventable. Most people who attempt suicide want to live but are overcome with emotional pain and cannot see any other way to handle a situation that may seem overwhelming and impossible to bear.
- Most people who die by suicide give definite warning signs of their suicidal intentions. This is one reason learning to recognize these signs and how to respond to them is so important.
- Talking about suicide does not cause someone to become suicidal or increase the risk. Showing genuine concern by asking about suicide directly can be part of an immediate intervention.
- Four out of five people who die by suicide have made at least one previous attempt.
- Suicide occurs across all age, economic, social and ethnic boundaries.
- Males die by suicide more than three times as often as females but three times more women than men attempt suicide.