About Embrace Life Council
Embrace Life Council is a non-profit suicide prevention organization based in Iqaluit, Nunavut. We began with the recognition that there needed to be a coordinated initiative in addressing the high suicide rates in Nunavut.
Through partnership efforts between the Government of Nunavut, Nunavut Tungavik Incorporated, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and many others, we were established in 2004.
In 2014/2015 we will be undertaking a number of activities including:
- Furthering a Nunavut Suicide Prevention Strategy Action Plan
- Public Education and Training
- Rolling out Red Cross Ten Steps to Creating Safe Environments
- Development of Community Resource Cards and pamphlets
- Creating Safer Communities through Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit
- Bereavement Support Group Pilots in Iqaluit
- Establishing Community Resource Tool Kits
Suicide in Nunavut
Suicide in Nunavut is highest amongst Inuit youth, particularly young Inuit males. We are determined to fight this.
Every year on September 10 we recognize World Suicide Prevention Day / Embrace Life Day across Nunavut.
Please contact us if you require more information or have any ideas for what you would like to see on our website.